Do you know that you don’t always need a boat to dive? Yep! You can dive on the shore. It’s called shore diving. While shore diving isn’t always easy, it’s usually very rewarding.
What is shore diving and why should you try it next time you dive in Perth? The team at Dolphin Scuba tell all.
What is shore diving?
The meaning of shore diving is simple. It means to dive from the shore, rather than from a boat.
Apart from the fact that you may not have a boat to dive from, there are many other benefits to shore diving too. We take you through just a few.
Why shore dive?
Shore diving is very popular in Perth. In fact, there is an entire community dedicated to it.
Here are just some of the many benefits:
- No boat required, you can walk in right off the beach.
- One of the best things about Perth scuba diving is just how easily accessible it is! There are many shore diving sites along the coast and most are within an hour’s drive from Perth city.
- Great for all levels of divers from recently certified Open Water Divers, to highly experienced diving professionals.
- There is so much to see! Walk straight in from the beach and find things like seahorses, weedy sea-dragons, cuttlefish, octopus, stingrays, nudibranchs and fish.
- Shore Diving is inexpensive – There’s no need to pay for a boat, you just need equipment and transport. If you have all your own gear then the only cost is a $7 air-fill.
- It’s social! – When shore diving there’s no rush or a schedule to stick to, so you can spend time chatting away with diving buddies as you suit up and after the dive. You could even find new diving buddies too.
- You can shore dive in nearly any weather condition in Perth, as we are lucky enough to have a number of ocean and river dive sites that are sheltered from winds and swell.
- Suffer from seasickness? With shore diving you don’t have to worry.
Perth’s shore diving hot spots
- Ammo Jetty
- Blackwall Reach
- Boy in a Boat Reef
- Bulk Jetty
- Omeo Wreck
- Jervoise Bay
- Kwinana Grain Terminal
- Long Jetty
- Mettams Pool
Shore diving really is fun, and when done correctly by a certified diver, is a safe and rewarding way to dive. Are you a certified diver and want to have a go at shore diving, but don’t want to do it alone?
Join Dolphin Scuba for our Free Sunday Morning Shore Dive any Sunday. No need to book, simply meet at the shop just after 8am, collect the hire gear you need and join the group. By the time you get back the Free Sausage Sizzle will be ready and waiting for you! What a great way to start your Sunday!
Questions? Contact us to find our more today on 08 93532488 or email email@example.com